Friday, November 5, 2010

{thankful for} my low-maintenance husband

I am so glad I married someone who doesn't care about "stuff". Yes he's a nerd so he's very into video games, new Apple products, etc. {haha - love you, Chris}. But we pretty much never get those huge purchases, and I'm thankful they're not at the top of his priority list. DEF not saying I'm perfect about it, but I think materialism is one of my biggest pet-peeves. Just buying STUFF. A bunch of crap you don't need. Clothes, gadgets, new toys, fast food, huge house, fancy car. Buy buy buy buy buy buy. Take all the money you spend on those things that you can't take to heaven ANYWAY and go help somebody else. Yes there are things you need; food, soap, shampoo, but who really cares how many shirts you have? How big of a house do you really need? Is cable absolutely essential for your life? The car you're driving, is it really that important, as long as it takes you where you need to get to? All that fast food isn't good for your body anyway...
Some people don't have any clothes, or a home, or food.. or any THING. Take that money you're using on STUFF and go splurge on somebody else who actually NEEDS something.. Again not saying Chris and I are perfect. There are purchases we make that I will regret and have to redirect my focus again and again. I feel for these people who don't have anything, yet here we are spending on junk.
I'm just not sure. I think buying something occasionally obviously isn't a huge deal.. but when it's an entire lifestyle of purchase after purchase of stuff that you'll grow tired of anyway.. you've got to ask yourself, "Is this the life I want to be living? Buying new thing after new thing for me?" I don't know. Consumerism's got me down!

What do you guys think about "stuff"?

No comments:

Post a Comment